Ronald Bragg

Fire Marshall 

phone icon (585) 964-8181
fax icon (585) 964-9124
email icon Email
home icon 1658 Lake Road
      Hamlin, NY  14464


Office Hours

8:00am - 7:00pm

Tuesday - Friday
8:00am - 4:00pm

Special appointments can be requested

The following information will help you identify and eliminate potential fire hazards from your home. And in the event of a fire, help you and your family safely escape, and minimize fire damage.

  • Remove combustible and flammable materials that are stored near any heat source such as a Furnace, Hot Water Heater, Space Heater or Stove.
  • Do not overload electric outlets or extension cords  Do not run extension cords under rugs, through holes in the wall or under doors  Replace old damaged and frayed extension cords.
  • Replace fuses with the correct size. Never use a larger fuse than the one you replaced.
  • Keep matches and lighters out of reach of children. 
  • Have smoke detector on every level of your home and outside every sleeping area. 
  • Test your smoke detectors regularly and replace the battery twice a year when  you change your clocks. Never remove the battery from a smoke detector for  any reason.
  • Develop an escape plan from every room in your home. Make sure all family  members know the plan and practice it.
  • If you use candles, be extremely careful. Do not leave them unattended, and  do not leave them lit after you go to bed. 
  • Have your furnace and chimney inspected and cleaned at least annually.
  • Never smoke in bed. 
  • Make sure there are no smoldering butts when you empty ash trays. 
  • Check furniture after a party for smoldering cigarette butts which could cause a fire while you sleep. 
  • Properly dispose of ashes from your wood burning stove or fireplace in a metal container stored outside away from the home.
  • To stop grease fires on the stove, never use water! Cover the fire with a pan lid and turn off the burner.
  • Make sure your house numbers are clearly visible from the road. 
  • Make sure that any fire hydrants near your home are clear of any snow, weeds and grass.
  • If you have to call 911, stay calm and answer all the questions asked of you and do not hang up until the 911 operator hangs up. 
  • Close doors as you leave the building this will slow the progress of the fire  and possibly isolate it for a short time. 
  • Everyone in your home should sleep with their doors closed to help protect them from the smoke and hot gasses of a fire. This simple act can save your life. 
  • Place additional smoke detectors in each bedroom so that occupants would be  protected with the bedroom door closed.

See Also: