Our History
The Town of Hamlin was created as the "Town of Union," but was renamed in 1861 as the Town of Hamlin in honor of Lincoln's first Vice President Hannibal Hamlin. Hamlin was initially a part of the town of Northampton. The town of Murray split from Northampton in 1807, and split again into Union and Clarkson on December 14, 1852. The North Star School District No. 11 was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1983.

BURN BAN IN EFFECT FROM MARCH 16 THROUGH MAY 14.

Open burning of household trash releases dangerous compounds including arsenic, carbon monoxide, benzene, stryrene, formaldehyde, lead, hydrogen cyanide and dioxin, among others.

Open burning is also the single greatest cause of wildfires in New York.

Report all polluters by calling the DEC hotline at 1-844-DEC-ECOS.  (1-844-332-3267).